Wednesday, October 31, 2012

First steps in my dissertation!

I'm super excited that I've started to look for material related to my dissertation. Now that I'm looking at the available programs, had I known more clearly what I wanted to research I probably should have applied for a program at the OII or more in sociology, but really I have no background in that. So I'm just going to have to use my humanities know-how and general pluck to get this done.

I'm going to try to keep track of my progress so I know what I did and when I did it. Some accountability is always a good thing.

Today I:

Found a dissertation supervisor! I'm really excited about it; she's one of my professors, around my age, obviously really smart, and she seemed really interested in my topic.

Began to look up books that might be useful. Interestingly, a lot of the research on gender, the internet, and community formation is from the late 1990s. I wonder why.

Emailed the OII to see if I can get approved to use their library. Many of the books that look useful are owned by the university, but mostly in the OII library.

No comments:

Post a Comment