Friday, October 26, 2012

Dorm Decor: in which coffee

Ok. Obviously, living in a dorm room, I don't have my own kitchen. I'm lucky that the kitchen that I share with my suite mates is pretty decent; it's a good size, I get my own half of a mini fridge and half of a mini freezer (well, in theory. In actuality I get about a quarter of each because my suite mate hogs them).

Now, I knew from the get-go that there would have to be a way for me to make coffee in my room, without having to see or speak to anybody else. The last thing in the world I need is to try to make conversation pre-caffeine.

My goal was to create a little coffee station not unlike the ones found in hotels and B&Bs, while spending as little money as possible.

So, click back to the previous post for a reminder of what I was working with.

It was around this point in my decorating that I discovered Poundland, the English version of a dollar store. It's pretty much a dream come true if you're having lame fantasies of creating a coffee station in your dorm room on a budget.

I snapped up two adorable purple paisley coffee mugs, a vintagey-looking tea tray, and a glittery purple scarf.

Then I went over to Boswells, where I picked up a kettle for £15 (even with my student discount, I obviously paid too much for it!) and a hinged glass jar for £2. The jar was to store my coffee "whitener" (feel free to judge; I needed a way to doctor my coffee without leaving the room!) in a way that was airtight and more attractive than a box of coffee "whitener".

Behold, the finished product!

Cookies go in the drawer, and extra coffee and whitener go in the cabinet, along with the wine and wine glasses.

Not bad for the pound store!

No comments:

Post a Comment