Saturday, November 24, 2012

Primark chic: dark florals edition

As I wrote about here, I'm trying to work some British looks into my style without breaking the bank.

A look I've been really drawn to recently is the idea of dark, winter florals (for examples, see Domestic Sluttery and Vogue). Florals have always seemed very English to me; before moving here, my idea of the quintessential English cool-girl outfit involved a floral dress over black tights with cool rock-and-roll booties, and perhaps a denim jacket or slouchy cardigan and "infinity scarf" (which the Brits call a "snood" - so much more fun).

However, straight-up floral just isn't me. I need something a little darker and edgier, with just a hint of punk or goth. So when I started noticing these floral blouses with black trim all over the place, I was excited. The combination of floral and buttoned-up was a look I loved, and the black trim kept it from being too girly.

As I always do, I shopped around. Here are the results, at various price points.


If you have £80 lying around, head over to Topshop for this one (or, you know, buy one of the other ones and give me the rest of the cash!)


For a more reasonable £35, you can have this darker, more subtle print from Miss Selfridge.


And compared to the other two, this offering from New Look is an absolute bargain at £22.99.

However, as a graduate student paying my own way with no income to speak of, all three of those are well outside my budget (the New Look one would feed me for a week!).

So, as I tend to do in this case, I headed to Primark, as I'd noticed a GORGEOUS dark floral shirt there on an earlier trip, and even though £12 was a little more than I'd like to spend, I figured it was pretty enough to be worth the splurge.

HOWEVER.

When I got there, I found that this lovely:

had been reduced to £5. Yes, you read that right. I wore it yesterday and got so many compliments on it. I'm thinking of replacing the garish gold buttons with more subtle black ones, but really. You can't beat that.

Moral of the story: know what you want, and shop around!

No comments:

Post a Comment